Much thought and effort is put into choosing a carpet, deciding which fibres and colours are best. Even though you won’t see it after installation, carpet pad (or carpet cushion) is an important part of carpet installation that should not be neglected.
Why is carpet pad important?
- It will make carpet feel feel thicker, softer, and more comfortable underfoot
- Carpet will last longer because carpet pad relieves stress on carpet backing and fibers
- Noise is reduced and carpet feels warmer due to extra thermal insulation
- Installation of carpet pad is often a condition necessary for the manufacturers warranty of new carpets
How do I know what carpet pad is right for me?
The type and thickness of carpet pad needed will vary based on the traffic level and carpet. Areas with light traffic like a bedroom are best suited to thicker and softer carpet pad. Hallways, living rooms, and other heavy traffic areas require a thinner and firmer cushion.
As a general rule, the carpet and rug institute recommends a maximum thickness of 7/16″ for cut pile residential carpet. For a low carpet like Berber or commercial carpets, carpet pad should be 3/8″ or less. Full details about the best carpet padding system for your preferred carpet are best reviewed with a salesperson.
Latest posts by Kelsey Myers (see all)
- Happy Canada 🇨🇦 Day 2017 - June 30, 2017
- 15 Firsts - June 13, 2017
- Benefits of Hiring Professional Consultants For Your Commercial Painting & Flooring Projects - January 20, 2017